Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lion Dance

Last Saturday, I was in Malaysia for it was still during the Chinese New Year when people would go to visit their relatives. So, I was there visiting my relatives and then, when my family and I were done, we decided to go to the nearby shopping center to buy some stuff.
Coincidentally, a lion dance and a dragon dance was about to start so, we decided to watch. However after waiting for what seemed like a few hours, the lion dance was still only in its preparation stages. Soon, the dragon dance started. However, I only managed to get a small chunk of what was happening, for I did not go to the lobby to see what was happening.





Next came the lion dance. This time, I managed to get almost all of the dance, however, the drumming at that time at my distance from the drums was extremely loud. In the video provided below, there are many things happening. The first one shows of the lions dancing and then making the audience try to take an orange out of their mouth. The second one shows of the lion performing what is known as 'cai qing'. It is to bring good luck and fortune to the stall that the lion is performing at. After all that,I had ringing ears for a very long time, despite closing my ears when the people were beating away at the drums. It makes me wonder how come the drummers have no problem coping with all the drumming? Well, I think that they are just used to it.

Sorry,videos are not available as yet. I will try to get them up as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment